As more people are sitting for prolonged periods of time, we are starting to see an epidemic of Kyphotic (head forward) posture especially with kids getting addicted to gaming on their computers, tablets and now cell phones. Here are ways to check yourself and your family.
- Awareness is Key... look in the mirror for level shoulders or have a family member take a profile picture to see if your head tilts forward.
- Take breaks away from screens every hour and stretch your back, shoulders and massage your neck backwards into extension... if this causes pain, you probably have a pinched nerve and you need to be adjusted!
- Use a pillow to prop up your reading material.
- Use a cookbook stand and raise your monitor so your head does not do a "Gooseneck" position.
- Neck rolls can be prescribed and firmer Fulcrum Wedges can be beneficial to correct these Subluxations, but as we age a distinct hump appears and a chronic condition can lead to health problems, diminished lung capacity and a loss of height.
Make sure you get checked! It is easier to correct early on before degenerative changes cause you to appear "Older" than you are!